Clinical Case Database / Category: Patient Management
Epidemiology and management of oral cancers
Mustansir Alibhai, Rishi Bhandari, Leo H H Cheng
Foundation Years Journal, volume 6, issue 3, p.52 (123Doc Education, London, March 2012)
A 65-year old man presented with a 2 month history of a painless ulcer on the left lateral border of his tongue (Figure 1). He is unsure as to whether he has bitten his tongue. He has used topical preparations without any effect. He has a past medical history of hypertension and ischaemic heart disease. He lives alone. He is a retired taxi driver with a 40 pack-year smoking history. He drinks 30 units of alcohol per week.
Access the Clinical Cases Database
A subscription is required to read the full article. Please subscribe using one of the options below.
|Foundation Years Clinical Cases Database||£29.00||6 months|
|Foundation Years Clinical Cases Database||£39.00||12 months|
MBBS BDS MFDS MRCS
Head and Neck Surgery
St Bartholomewâ€™s & the Royal London Hospitals
MBBS BDS MFDS MRCS, FRCS(OMFS)
Head and Neck Surgery
St Bartholomewâ€™s & the Royal London Hospitals
Leo H H Cheng
LLM MBChB BDS FRCS FDSRCS FRCS (OMFS) FHEA
Consultant Oral, Maxillofacial
Head and Neck Surgeon
St Bartholomewâ€™s & the Royal London
and Homerton University Hospitals
1. Moore SR, Johnson NW, Pierce AM, Wilson DF. The epidemiology of mouth cancer: a review of global incidence. Oral Dis 2000; 6(2):65-74.
2. Warnakulasuriya S. Global epidemiology of oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Oral Oncol 2009; 45(4-5): 309-16.
3. National Cancer Intelligence Unit. (January 2010) Profiles of head and neck cancers in England: incidence, mortality and survival.
4. Warnakulasuriya, S., G. Sutherland, and C. Scully. Tobacco, oral cancer, and treatment of dependence. Oral Oncol 2005; 41(3): 244-60
5. Bosetti C, Gallus S, Peto R, Negri E, Talamini R, Tavani A, Franceschi S, La Vecchia C. Tobacco smoking, smoking cessation, and cumulative risk of upper aerodigestive tract cancers. Am J Epidemiol 2008; 167(4):468-73.
6. Warnakulasuriya S, Trivedy C, Peters TJ. Areca nut use: an independent risk factor for oral cancer. BMJ 2002; 324(7341):799-800.
7. Bagnardi V, Blangiardo M, La Vecchia C, Corrao G. A meta-analysis of alcohol drinking and cancer risk. Br J Cancer 2001; 85(11):1700-5.
8. Castellsague X, Quintana MJ, Martinez MC, Nieto A, Sanchez MJ, Juan A, Monner A, Carrera M, Agudo A, Quer M, Munoz N, Herrero R, Franceschi S, Bosch FX. The role of type of tobacco and type of alcoholic beverage in oral carcinogenesis. Int J Cancer 2004; 108(5): 741-749.
9. Bosetti C, La Vecchia C, Talamin R, Negri E, levi F, Fryzek J, McLaughlin JK, Garavello W, Franceschi S. Energy, macronutrients and laryngeal cancer risk. Ann Oncol 2003; 14(6):907-12.
10. Freedman ND, Park Y, Subar AF, Hollenbeck AR, Leitzmann MF, Schatzkin A, Abnet CC. Fruit and vegetable intake and head and neck cancer risk in a large United States prospective cohort study. Int J Cancer 2008; 122(10):2330-6.
11. Perea-Milla Lopez E, Minarro-Del Moral RM, Martinez-Garcia C, Zanetti R, Rosso S, Serrano S, Aneiors JF, Jimenez-Puente A, Redondo M. Lifestyles, environmental and phenotypic factors associated with lip cancer: a casecontrol study in southern Spain. Br J Cancer 2003; 88(11):1702-7.
12. Ho PS, Chen PL, Warnakulasuriya S, Shieh TY, Chen YK, Huang IY.
Malignant transformation of oral potentially malignant disorders in males: a
retrospective cohort study. BMC Cancer 2009; 9:260.
13. Herrero R, Castellsague X, Pawlita M, Lissowska J, Kee F, Balaram P, Rajkumar T, Sridhar H, Rose B, Pintos J, Fernandez L, Idris A, Sanchez MJ, Nieto A, Talamini R, Tavani A, Bosch FX, Reidel U, Snijders PJ, Meijer CJ, Viscidi R, Munoz N, Franceschi S; IARC Multicenter Oral Cancer Study Group. Human papillomavirus and oral cancer: the International Agency for Research on Cancer multicenter study. J Natl Cancer Inst 2003; 95(23): 1772-83.
14. Grulich AE, van Leeuwen MT, Falster MO, Vajdic CM. Incidence of cancers in people with HIV/AIDS compared with immunosuppressed transplant recipients: a meta-analysis. Lancet 2007; 370(9581):59-67.
15. Haughey BH, Gates GA, Arfken CL, Harvey J. Meta-analysis of second malignant tumors in head and neck cancer: the case for an endoscopic screening protocol. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1992;101(2 pt 1):105-12.
16. Castelijns JA, van den Brekel MW. Imaging of lymphadenopathy in the neck. Eur Radiol 2002; 12(4): 727-38.
17. Ha PK, Hdeib A, Goldenberg D, Jacene H, Patel P, Koch W, Califano J, Cummings CW, Flint PW, Wahl R, Tufano RP. The role of positron emission tomography and computed tomography fusion in the management of earlystage and advanced-stage primary head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006 Jan;132(1):12-6.
18. Boysen M, Lovdal O, Tausjo J, Winther F. The value of follow-up in patients treated for squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Eur J Cancer 1992; 28(2-3):426-30.
Conflict Of Interest
The Journal requires that authors disclose any potential conflict of interest that they may have. This is clearly stated in the Journal’s published “Guidelines for Authors”. The Journal follows the Guidelines against Conflict of Interest published in the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals (http://www.icmje.org/urm_full.pdf).
The authors of this article have not been paid. The Journal is financed by subscriptions and advertising. The Journal does not receive money from any other sources. The decision to accept or refuse this article for publication was free from financial considerations and was solely the responsibility of the Editorial Panel and Editor-in-Chief.
Patient Consent statement
All pictures and investigations shown in this article are shown with the patients’ consent. We require Authors to maintain patients’ anonymity and to obtain consent to report investigations and pictures involving human subjects when anonymity may be compromised. The Journal follows the Guidelines of the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts (http://www.icmje.org/urm_full.pdf). The Journal requires in its Guidelines for Authors a statement from Authors that “the subject gave informed consent”.
Animal & Human Rights
When reporting experiments on human subjects, the Journal requires authors to indicate whether the procedures followed were in accordance with the ethical standards of the responsible committee on human experimentation (institutional and national) and with the HelsinkiDeclaration of 1975, as revised in 2008.
About the Clinical Cases Database
The Foundation Years Clinical Cases Database is a selection of 600 peer-reviewed clinical cases in the field of patient safety and clinical practice, specifically focused on the clinical information needs of junior doctors, based around the Foundation Year Curriculum programme (MMC). The cases have been chosen to align with the Foundation Year Curriculum.
The database is fully searchable, or can be browsed by medical specialty. Abstracts can be read free of charge, however a subscription is required in order to read the complete cases.