Clinical Case Database / Category: Patient Management
Systemic lupus erythematosus
Dr Tazeen Jahan Ahmed MSC, MRCP, Dr David D'Cruz MD, FRCP
Foundation Years Journal, volume 3, issue 8, p.28 (123Doc Education, London, October 2010)
A 28-year-old Afro-Caribbean female teacher presents to clinic with an ongoing history of joint pains going back 2 to 3 years. She has recently become more tired and has noted that she becomes short of breath when walking 100 metres, sometimes with sharp stabbing chest pain which comes and goes. Last summer, when on holiday, she developed a facial rash for the first time, which has now disappeared. She has noted that her hands become more stiff and painful in the winter months or when working with cold or frozen material.
Access the Clinical Cases Database
A subscription is required to read the full article. Please subscribe using one of the options below.
|Foundation Years Clinical Cases Database||£29.00||6 months|
|Foundation Years Clinical Cases Database||£39.00||12 months|
Dr Tazeen Jahan Ahmed MSC, MRCP
Louise Coote Lupus Unit
St Thomas Hospital
London SE1 7EH
Dr David D'Cruz MD, FRCP
Louise Coote Lupus Unit
St Thomas Hospital
1. Tan EM, Cohen AS, Fries JF, Masi AT, McShane DJ, Rothfield NF, et al. The 1982 revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 1982, 25:1271â€“1277.
2. The American College of Rheumatology nomenclature and case definitions for neuropsychiatric lupus syndromes. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 1999, 42:599â€“608.
3. Rahman A, Isenberg DA. Systemic lupus erythematosus. N Engl J Med, 2008, 358:929â€“939.
4. D'Cruz DP, Khamashta MA, Hughes GR. Systemic lupus erythematosus. Lancet, 2007, 369(9561):587â€“596.
5. Seshan SV, Jennette JC. Renal disease in systemic lupus erythematosus with emphasis on classification of lupus glomerulonephritis: advances and implications. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 2009, 133:233â€“248.
6. Houssiau FA, Ginzler EM. Current treatment of lupus nephritis. Lupus, 2008, 17:426â€“430.
7. Ruiz-Irastorza G, Khamashta MA. Lupus and pregnancy: ten questions and some answers. Lupus, 2008, 17:416â€“420.
8. Bertsias G, Ioannidis JP, Boletis J, Bombardieri S, Cervera R, Dostal C, et al. EULAR recommendations for the management of systemic lupus erythematosus. Report of a Task Force of the EULAR Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutics.[see comment]. Ann Rheum Dis, 2008, 67:195â€“205.
9. Ippolito A, Petri M. An update on mortality in systemic lupus erythematosus. Clinical & Experimental Rheumatology, 2008, 26(5 Suppl 51):S72â€“79.
10. Bernatsky S, Boivin JF, Joseph L, Manzi S, Ginzler E, Gladman DD, Urowitz M, Fortin PR, Petri M, Barr S, Gordon C, Bae SC, Isenberg D, Zoma A, Aranow C, Dooley MA, Nived O, Sturfelt G, Steinsson K, AlarcÃ³n G, SenÃ©cal JL, Zummer M, Hanly J, Ensworth S, Pope J, Edworthy S, Rahman A, Sibley J, El-Gabalawy H, McCarthy T, St Pierre Y, Clarke A, Ramsey-Goldman R. Mortality in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum, 2006, 54:2550â€“2557.
Conflict Of Interest
The Journal requires that authors disclose any potential conflict of interest that they may have. This is clearly stated in the Journal’s published “Guidelines for Authors”. The Journal follows the Guidelines against Conflict of Interest published in the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals (http://www.icmje.org/urm_full.pdf).
The authors of this article have not been paid. The Journal is financed by subscriptions and advertising. The Journal does not receive money from any other sources. The decision to accept or refuse this article for publication was free from financial considerations and was solely the responsibility of the Editorial Panel and Editor-in-Chief.
Patient Consent statement
All pictures and investigations shown in this article are shown with the patients’ consent. We require Authors to maintain patients’ anonymity and to obtain consent to report investigations and pictures involving human subjects when anonymity may be compromised. The Journal follows the Guidelines of the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts (http://www.icmje.org/urm_full.pdf). The Journal requires in its Guidelines for Authors a statement from Authors that “the subject gave informed consent”.
Animal & Human Rights
When reporting experiments on human subjects, the Journal requires authors to indicate whether the procedures followed were in accordance with the ethical standards of the responsible committee on human experimentation (institutional and national) and with the HelsinkiDeclaration of 1975, as revised in 2008.
About the Clinical Cases Database
The Foundation Years Clinical Cases Database is a selection of 600 peer-reviewed clinical cases in the field of patient safety and clinical practice, specifically focused on the clinical information needs of junior doctors, based around the Foundation Year Curriculum programme (MMC). The cases have been chosen to align with the Foundation Year Curriculum.
The database is fully searchable, or can be browsed by medical specialty. Abstracts can be read free of charge, however a subscription is required in order to read the complete cases.