PLAB Part 1: How to register
Before taking the Plab Part 1 test you must have:
- A primary medical qualification accepted for limited registration as listed in the WHO Directory of Medical Schools
- Taken the British Council's IELTS test no more than two years ago and attained an overall score of at least 7.0, with a minimum score of 7.0 in the speaking section and 6.0 in each of the listening, academic reading and academic writing sections. If you passed the IELTS test more than two years ago, you will need to provide proof that you have since actively maintained or tried to improve your English language skills
- 12 months postgraduate clinical experience from teaching hospitals - newly qualified doctors can take the test without this experience but only for the subsequent employment as a junior house officer.
Application Forms for PLAB Part 1
Application forms can be downloaded from the GMC website www.gmc-uk.org.
Submit your PLAB application form together with the appropriate enclosures by post or in person to:
PLAB Test Section (Candidate Services)
General Medical Council
178 Great Portland Street
Once your PLAB application form has been processed, you will be sent a letter offering you a place in the PLAB Examination and a map showing you where the PLAB Examination centre is located.
Fees for PLAB Part 1
Fees for PLAB Part 1 are £145 and must be paid in advance in sterling.
Fees can be paid in cash at the GMC's office in London, or in the form of a cheque, money order or postal order payable to "General Medical Council".
Cancellation fees (UK) for PLAB Part 1
Cancellation fees depend on the amount of notice given:
- Over four months notice - £87
- Between 21 days and 4 months notice - £101
- Less than 21 days notice - £145